Dr Phillips is one of the most heavily sought after suburbs in Orlando due to it location and amenities. The community was named after Mr. Phillip Phillips who was born January 27, 1874 and passed away April 18, 1959.
He was a prominent businessman and philanthropist who was particularly active in the Central Florida area. Mr. Phillips was a citrus magnate, at one point he owned more than 5,000 acres of citrus groves before selling his industry assets in 1953. After that, he established the Dr. P. Phillips Foundation, while Dr. Phillips Inc. remained in the real estate business, particularly as run by his son, Howard Phillips.
Many places and establishments are named in his honor in the Orlando, Florida area, including Dr. P. Phillips Baby Place at Winter Park Memorial Hospital, Orlando Regional Dr. P. Phillips Hospital, The Dr. Phillips House which is now a restored Historic Inn where Dr. Phillips had lived, Dr. Phillips High School, the Dr. Phillips community outside Orlando, and the Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts, which opened in 2014.
Dr. Phillips is located directly east of Universal Studios and bordered by I-4 and Windermere. For those wanting to be minutes from both Universal Studios and Disney, this is your spot. In Dr. Phillips, you’re 5 minutes away from Universal and 12 minutes from Disney.
Some Facts and Info About Dr. Phillips FL
- Phillips is located in southwestern Orange County, about 11 miles (20 minutes) southwest of downtown Orlando
- The area has about 11,000 residents
- Approximately two-thirds of the homes in Dr. Phillips have married couples, and around 40 percent of households have children under 18
- The median annual household income is over $70,000; median annual family income is close to $80,000
- At the end of 2016, the median home value in Dr. Phillips is $297,400, which is an increase of 8.8 percent over the last one-year period
- Year after year, the schools in Dr. Phillips receive top grades from the Florida Department of Education
- There are so many options for dining, shopping, entertainment, healthcare, professional services, youth activities, and more.
- Restaurant Row, arguably Orlando’s most famous dining destination, runs along Sand Lake Road through Dr. Phillips; the many restaurants there include a mix of independent establishments and high-quality chains, numerous types of cuisine, and cover the full spectrum of casual to formal
- Phillips is only a few minutes down the road from all the family fun on International Drive, plus it’s only about 3 miles from Universal Orlando Resort, 5 miles from Sea World Orlando, and 5.5 miles Walt Disney World Resort
- Some of Florida’s best west coast and east coast beaches are a quick, easy drive away, as are a number of popular state parks.
- It’s just about 16 miles (20 minutes) to Orlando International Airport (MCO)
- Residents appreciate proximity to world-class hospitals and medical facilities, like Orlando Regional Medical Center, Winnie Palmer Hospital for Women and Babies, Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children, the UF Cancer Center—Orlando Health, Florida Hospital Orlando, Florida Hospital for Children, Florida Hospital for Women, and Florida Hospital Cancer Institute
- All the major arts and culture institutions of downtown Orlando are easily accessible, including the Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts, Orlando Museum of Art, Mennello Museum of American Art, Orlando Science Center, Orlando Shakespeare Theater, Orlando Repertory Theatre, and Orange County Regional History Center
- Downtown Orlando’s major sports and entertainment attractions are also nearby, including the Amway Center, Camping World Stadium, Orlando City Soccer Stadium, and the planned Orlando Magic entertainment complex P. Phillips Community Park, one of Orange County’s best public parks with all sorts of great facilities for kids and families, is here.
- We have the ever famous Trader Joes and Whole Foods off of Sand Lake Road, as well as a new, Unique Publix with a cooking school co-located within.
Some of my favorite restaurants are:
- The Whiskey
- Slate ( co-located with Trader Joe’s
- Urbain 40
- Seasons 52
- Moon Fish
- Rocco’s Tacos
- Thai Tanni ( off of International Drive near Sea World)
That’s just to name a few!!
Dr. Phillips has a price range that fluctuates from the high 300,000’s up to the millions, depending on your location. Most homes were built in the 1980s and 90s. This means that lots are typically larger, with some communities such as Brentwood Club that have a good amount of space in between homes.
Right across the street from Clubhouse Estates and Sandlake Hills is Bay Hill. Homes in Bay Hill Club & Lodge regularly see price tags of 1 million dollars. The Bay Hill Club and Lodge also hosts the annual Arnold Palmer Invitational of the PGA Tour.
Overall there is so much to do and see. Dr Phillips has a lot to offer and we love living here.
If you are interested in Learning more about the Dr Phillips area and interested in buying or selling a home, feel free to visit our site at www.sternrealtyteam.com or contact me at 407-595-8374 or email me with any questions, so we can help you with all of your Real Estate needs. Have a great day!
RE/MAX Prime Properties